Tuesday, February 28, 2012

This Is It

This is the end.  I'll post again tomorrow with the total amount raised, but I just ate my last meal of the week and I think it was the most satisfying thing I've ever had.

I wanted to discuss the things I have learnt in this past week, about myself and about the condition of living off such a small amount of food.

First off, the food.  Throughout this week very little of what I ate was flavoured.  There was one night that I ate nothing else with my rice and so I could afford to add a splash of soy sauce.  I have learnt to appreciate what I'm eating, because when you are really hungry ANYTHING tastes good.  I'm not just saying that.  I used to absolutely hate rice.  Now, pretty sure it's my favourite food.

It was hard.  One of the most difficult things I've done and the temptation to cheat - especially today - was high.  I stuck it out though and I'm sitting here feeling pretty darn proud of myself.  If I were to say I learnt just one thing from this week about myself it would be that I am so much stronger than I thought I was.  I think that given the situation people could be so much stronger.  I'm not saying that to make people feel bad - quite the opposite.  I just want people to realise how lucky we are.  I get to go back to my coffee and cakes tomorrow.  Tomorrow 1.4 billion people will still be undernourished.

It Is Not Fair.

I know I can't save the world, as was pointed out to me before I even started this.  I sure as hell am going to try though.  If everyone tried, we could.

I want to thank everyone for their support, for their sponsorship, but more than that.  I want to thank my friends who have pushed me forward when I wanted to give up.

So that's all for now, peace and love to all of you.  Just remember, you're just one person but you can and you will make a difference.  Live positive.

Another post signed with love,
Emily

No comments:

Post a Comment